Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Random Pictures

This is a view of the James River between Big Island and Glasgow, VA. I was going quickly at this point because I had heard that there was trail magic at the trail head. I was able to make it in time for breakfast.





This is me on McAffee Knob. This is the most photographed spot on the AT. We were slack packing from Catawba to Trouteville. We got a late start and did not leave the knob until noon. At that point we had done 4 out of the 20 miles we needed to hike. We were able to finish at 7pm and went right to a Mexican restaurant to celebrate Cinqo de Mayo.



As we hiked through one gap we came across a campsite with a swing. I could not resist taking a little break.







Between the Shenandoahs and Harper's Ferry is the Roller Coaster. We had been hearing horror stories about it for several weeks. Because of who owned what land the trail had to go straight up and down 10 hills without views in 13.5 miles. However most of the climbs did not have more than 500 feet of elevation change and it was not that bad.



In VA there were lots of railroad crossings and most them had warning signs to be careful while crossing the tracks.

1 comment:

Our Family Grows said...

Your pictures are wonderful! I'm so jealous of what you are seeing. I hope you are enjoying your trip as you get nearer to the end. :-)