Saturday, March 15, 2008

Trail names

I had been asked my several people whether I have a trail name yet. All thru hikers take on a trail name for while they are hiking. I had been thinking about one, but I have always had problems about giving myself a nickname. I also did not want to reuse an old nickname from swimming in college or from high school. So I had been thinking and I was unable to come up with anything good. Luckily I had a friend come to my rescue. This friend is a section hiker (someone who does the trail one section at a time). I am going to copy what my friend said, "All thru-hikers have trail names -no exceptions. Since you're thinking about teaching high school math - and you're, in effect, going off on one - we suggest your trail name be TANGENT. This name also works when you develop a suntan (and by the way,make sure you are carrying some sunblock on your hike). And it's mush easier for you, when explaining your trail name, to tell people that Emily and I ordained if for you." So I would luck to thank Chuck for solving a problem for me.
Tangent

2 comments:

Clement said...

Hey Jeff - let me know when you think you will be near Charlottesville VA - I may hike with you for a bit, or just take you to dinner or get whatever supplies you need... I'm in borneo 10Apr - 12May but will check email.
Otherwise the cell is 202.486.1148
-Clement

PGBoy said...

Emily and I are honored that you adopted our suggested trail name. You asked about mine - here's the answer. In 2001 I made it as far as NOC (134 miles) before being ordained "Trail Dad" by the young folks I'd been hiking with from day four (Neels Gap). As these kids were special to me, I like to think that "Trail Dad" is "their name" for me - I hardly ever use it on the trail.