Saturday, March 29, 2008

More Pics

This is Cyclops, myself, Shadow Cast and Bigfoot at the NC/GA border, 75 miles of hiking into the trail. Cyclops and Bigfoot were both section hikers. Shadow Cast and I hiked together for about a week before I took today off, and we will hopefully meet up again in Hot Springs.
On Easter Sunday a group of people set up a huge tent and cooked omelets. But the story goes further back. Shadow Cast and I pulled into this gap at around 5:30 on Saturday. We had hiked anout 15 miles at this point and we were one mile away from a shelter. As we came down to the gap we saw this tent and some people we had been hiking with washing their hands. The people at the tent told us to help ouselves. I made a sandwich and was then asked if I wanted a Polish sausage. I thought this was a dumb question. Of course I wanted when, the questions was can I have two? just next door another group had a fire going, and offered me a drink. When I asked for OJ, I got half and half with vodka. After the Vodka Shadow Cast and I hiked up a mile to the shelter since most of the tent sites at the road were full and then finished off the Guinesses we hadn't been able to finish in town the day before. The next morning we hiked back down for breakfast and were given menus. What did we want in our omelets and what did we want in our to go bags. It was amazing.
This is one top of the Observation tower on Wesser Bald. What follows this is about the worst 6 miles of desecent I have done. I called it the "Knee Bomb." We thought it would be an easy 6 miles downhill to the shelter. It was anything but easy.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you are off to a great start. I will be following your progress as I did last year with the Iron Chefs. Isn't trail magic wonderful! It was great to meet you and send you off to Springer Mtn. Have fun and be safe.

Martha (Miller's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,
It looks like things are going great. I want to wish you a happy birthday as well as happy hiking. Do you have a freeze dried cake for the occasion? I'm glad you started the blog - I'll be watching your progress.
Love,
Kathy