Friday, May 23, 2008

Post Office

I am currently in Waynesboro, VA 848 miles from Springer. I was realizing that all the milages are from the 2007 guidebook, and that they are all off from the 2008. Also since I just did some trail rerouting with Hardcore, and I assume that other trail clubs are constantly doing the same that the 2008 mileages are probably also wrong at this point. Anyway it is all approximate. In about two weeks after I get to Harper's Ferry I may start talking about the milages to Katahdin.
The only reason I am still in Waynesboro is because something I was expecting did not arrive. Last Saturday I ordered a new backpack. It should have been mailed on Monday with priority mail. Unfortunately it did not get mailed until Wednesday. So I will be spending tonight at the Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church Hostel. It is a free hostel and I will be eating food I have already purchased, so it is not costing me anything besides some agravation. It was easier to wait the extra day here than to bounce the package to the next stop at the end of the Shenandoahs. Anyway tomorrow we start the Shenandoahs for Memorial Day weekend. We are expecting it to be fairly busy. So there may be opportunities to yogi some free food. Although there are some restaurants in the park right by the trail, so we are thinking that we do not need to carry too much food. Even with that in mind we still bought a lot.
Because of some interesting distances between shelters, 16 miles, yesterday we did a 22 mile day and then 5 this morning where I was met by my friend Clement. Clement is the 5th person connected with Nekton that I have met up with in the last two weeks. If you want to read about what he has been doing recently you can check out his blog at http://clementsworldtour07anewbeginning.blogspot.com/
Clement was nice enough to ferry Daddy-O, Peacock, and myself around Wayneboro. Now I am fresh from a shower at the YMCA, relaxing and waiting for the hostel to open at 5pm.

No comments: